Since search engine rankings became a widespread phenomenon amongst marketers, corporations have invested a lot of time, money and effort into trying to appear at the top spot on the first page of every search engine. Search engine experts have found various loopholes to try to outsmart google and other search engines into getting a higher ranking, this method is called black hat SEO and is frowned upon by google and they try to update their systems ever so often to catch out the marketers practicing black hat SEO. The aim of this post is to introduce 6 simple techniques that can help your website rank higher on google without getting penalized.
- The first thing to remember is that Google loves unique and original content, experienced marketers would have noticed the rise in the importance of content creations and would have reacted accordingly. Creating unique and engaging content makes it easier for people to want to share it with their friends and family, this means more people will link to your blog or website which in turn means that your site gets a thumbs up in Google’s search engine.
- It is now common knowledge to marketers that off-page link building techniques account for over 80% of the overall effectiveness of any SEO campaign. So in order to rank higher on google, you need to intensify your off-page optimization effort by investing more into backlinks. A good way to capitalise on this would be to find keywords relating to your business (using tools like Moz or Ahrefs) and then use those keywords to bring people into certain pages of your site, for example, if you run a Financial Marketing company one of your keywords would be ‘Equity Release’ and when it is typed into google’s search engine you company comes up along with any other related company within the industry.
- Another way to rank higher on Google is to conduct a competitor link analysis, this is an easy link building tactic to put you on a level playing field with your competitors. This would serve as your first step into link building, you are basically repeating the best of what your competitors are doing. The point of this is to match your competitors and once you have matched them you they mount another campaign to exceed them.
- Guest posting is an underappreciated way of gaining links and contributes to the way that google ranks you. The main point of guest posting is to get a link from a site or blog that is already established as they tend to carry more weight because they have more authority. A good way to do this would be to contact already established bloggers and influencers within your industry to find out if it would be possible for you to write a guest post on their site. With this method, you get to build a relationship with these bloggers and influencers.
- Time is the most important factor when trying to get your site to rank higher on google, there is no time frame in which you can manage to get your page to rank higher. There are a variety of dependents that determine where your site ranks on google like the type of industry that your business is in.
- Spammy sites are the stuff that marketers nightmares are made of, there is nothing as annoying as finding your site or blog listed on a spammy site that you haven’t approved. If you do find that your site is listed on a spammy site and it runs the risk of being penalised by google you should first outreach to the spammy sites to ask them to take your information out of their site, if that doesn’t work you can then use a disavow tool to tell google that you have tried to get the link taken down but you can. What Google will do is when they are calculating what you rank your page they will not take the spammy link into consideration so it won’t affect your overall ran.
Following these easy tips do not guarantee that your site would be ranked higher on google, it is intended to serve as a guide addressing some of the contributing factors that are taken into consideration when google are ranking sites. If every process in this guide is executed correctly then your site is well on it’s way to being noticed by google in a good way.